You are eligible to enroll if you are:
- In a regular full-time, part-time, or temporary benefit eligible position
- Assigned to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, and
- Working in an appointment lasting a minimum of five consecutive months
You are eligible for benefits on the first day of the month following your date of hire.
Your spouse under a legally valid marriage which follows the criteria listed below:
- A common-law union that began in Idaho prior to January 1, 1996
A child under the age of 26; For purposes of the plan, a “child” means your:
- Biological child
- Legally adopted child or child placed with you for adoption
- Child for whom you are the legal guardian
- Child who is required to be covered by a Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMSCO)
Coverage will terminate for your child on his or her 26th birthday, unless he or she is incapable of self-support because of a physical or mental disability that began prior to age 26. You must apply for this continuation within 31 days after the child reaches age 26.
Dependent Eligibility Verification
The State of Idaho Office of Group Insurance (OGI) has contracted with HMS Employer Solutions to verify dependent eligibility. Go to OGI link for more information:
After an employee enrolls in the benefits for the first time, or adds a spouse or dependent child to their existing benefits, they will be contacted via email from HMS with detailed eligibility information.
You will be asked to submit evidence of eligibility directly to HMS. Detailed eligibility information, as well as a toll-free customer service number, fax number and customized web address will be included in the forthcoming correspondence from HMS. Contact HMS directly if you have questions or need additional information about the process.
What if your spouse is a Boise State University employee?
A participant cannot be covered as both an employee and as a dependent. If your spouse is employed in a benefits-eligible University position:
- One employee can waive medical coverage and be covered as a dependent spouse of the other
- Each employee can enroll in employee only coverage
If you and your spouse have dependent children, all of your dependent children will be covered under only one employee’s plan.